Why and How to Improve Kids' Writing
It is very important to develop your kids’ writing skills. We need to be able to translate our thoughts and ideas onto paper, thus communicating better with others, whether at work, school, or in personal relationships.
A child who struggles with writing is more likely to suffer difficulties in the academic field. But rest assured that there is always a solution to help younger children acquire and improve writing skills.
But why promote kids writing skills?
Writing alongside reading, are the two most powerful weapons we can give children to lay the foundations for their cognitive development.
Unlike learning verbal communication (spoken language), reading and writing are much more complex, due to the need to acquire and learn to use certain codes of written language that require intellectual development. For this reason, initiation does not usually occur until the age of five or six.
Through writing, we can express our minds. But transmitting messages through writing is not something simple. Many people know how to write but have difficulties elaborating texts with sense, coherence, and with which they identify themselves.
It is essential to develop the ability to transmit through writing from childhood, which is the time children are more receptive to knowledge and habit creation.
When children write constantly, they get to practice vocabulary, syntaxis, adherence, tone of voice, and other complex variables of the writing process. A young writer who manages to acquire all those skills will be able to express fluently and clearly, and that is how brilliant ideas are born.
Improving kids writing at home.
As said before, reading and writing are both complex cognitive processes involving different parts of the brain.
The development of motor skills is key for a good acquisition of writing. For this reason, it will be necessary to offer daily practices that facilitate the training of gross and fine motor skills in order to develop dexterity in the hands and fingers, promote correct hand-eye coordination, and develop homogeneous laterality.
Exploration is also an essential part of cognitive development, and writing is no exception to that. Children can learn more quickly and effectively if they have contact with giant letters or if they familiarize themselves with the way letters are supposed to look on paper. Here is something pre-schoolers can do:
- Draw lines with different forms: circular, zig-zag, up and down, etc.
- Have big cardboard or plastic letters around the house and teach them each day the letter’s name and words they can use with that letter. Keep it familiar so the kid can feel they can use their knowledge right away.
And what about older kids? How can we help them?
As usual, practice makes the master; therefore, to improve the writing skills of older kids, we need to motivate them and provide them a safe space where they can make mistakes and be creative about writing. Here are some of the basic yet powerful things, you can do at home with your older children to help them sharpen those abilities:
- Journal writing.
- Finding writing prompts for kids: usually, the blank page is terrifying, so this will kickstart them.
- Writing about things they like: a tv show, video games, favorite movie or book, etc.
- Using creative writing: creative writing activities are perfect to draw our children into something that is not often seen as fun. But writing can be a powerful tool to enhance creativity and imagination: you can click on this previous entry blog to find creative writing activities for children.
- Remember to always use positive reinforcement: children and adults alike will react and perform better in a positive environment. Celebrate your child’s journey every step of the way.
Knowing how to express yourself is a messy process. Some people will do better than others, for sure, but that does not mean your children cannot learn how to communicate thoughts and ideas in writing. They just need the proper activity, the proper environment.
Be patient and keep trying activities until you find the one your children click with it the most.
And after that, you can always have some outdoor fun with Spimbey. Remember that breaks are also an essential part of the learning process.
Remember you can always check our products on our webshop.
Spimbey is the ally of fun!